What did they do without the internet, Facebook and Netflix? How could they possibly entertain themselves without binge watching 5 seasons of Breaking Bad? Well my mom and her sisters learned how to play guitar and sing harmonies together. It turns out that was a pretty fun way to pass the time and create memories with the family. Her musicality had an incredible influence in my life, I could honestly say there’s no way I would’ve started a mustache rap band and toured the country or played air guitar in Finland if it wasn’t for my extremely supportive and super creative mom. She literally found a way to bring music into every moment of our lives no matter how mundane. I hope she inspires you the way she inspires me. Enjoy!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU'LL LEARN:
- How music played a role in the lives of my mom and her sisters.
- How simply having instruments around encourages kids to experiment.
- You'll hear the first song I ever wrote in 2nd grade.
- Mom's DJ mix for bathtub, brushing your teeth and bedtime.
- How 80s MTV, The Little Mermaid and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme song played a role.
- How to make holidays a family jam.
Links and Resources Mentioned:
- Hit Stix - Do yourself a favor and watch this sweet 80s commercial!
- Mocking Bird - James Taylor and Carly Simon live
- Goodnight Sweetheart Goodnight - The Platters
- Under the Sea - The Little Mermaid soundtrack
- TMNT theme song - "Donatello does machines!"
Thanks for Listening!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the share button you see at the bottom of the post. Don’t forget to subscribe to the email list to stay updated on all things Cool Music Dad.