Music is wonderful outlet for people of all ages, including young people. But the music industry can be a messy and dangerous place, especially for someone with only a handful of life experiences but plans to make a living from it. Today, we’re talking with Adam Mackintosh about the modern music landscape and our sonic youth. Adam is on a secret mission to help young people navigate the music industry, plus he has the rock credentials to back it up. He’s done over 6 European tours, several tours in the U.S., shared stages and recording time with Jackson Brown, Pat MacDonald, Eric McFadden...the list goes on. This is part 1 of my conversation with Adam. The second part we’ll focus more on his musical journey. Here's Adam!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU'LL LEARN:
- About Adam's secret mission to help our youth navigate the music biz
- How he's helped youth at the School of Rock as well as teaching from his own home
- Some of the biggest music industry challenges all of us face (especially youth)
- A few tips on having a healthy mindset and how important "not being a jerk" is in the industry
- BONUS: Make sure you listen till the end! Adam sent out a survey to past students (some of them becoming very successful now) to get their perspective on the music industry. Super cool!
Links and Resources Mentioned:
- Adam's website - Home of all things Adam
- Adam's Q&A with youth - Check out the full convo with his past students and their take on the music industry today
- Supermensch & Hype - Adam's music documentary recommendations
Thanks for Listening!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the share button you see at the bottom of the post. Don’t forget to subscribe to the email list to stay updated on all things Cool Music Dad.